Tuesday, March 15, 2011

New Duds

I have been looking for a shirt with the continent of Africa on it for J for a long time.  Every time I would find someone doing an adoption fundraiser with silk screened shirts with Africa on them they were sold out in toddler sizes.  So I finally decided to make one.  I went to JoAnns to pick up some cute fabric and some heat and bond and went to work.  I had this sweatshirt that Jeremiah just grew into and since it is March my little Ugandan American boy is cold, so it was perfect:
 I cut out the shape of Africa in the cute fabric I found and then ironed it on according the the directions on the heat and bond.  Then I added a patch in the shape of a heart over Uganda.  Finally I stitched around the whole thing.
I am in love with how it turned out!
I think he likes it!
I make this shirt look good!
I am really pleased with how this turned out and I love that he has an Africa shirt now!
Once I had the shirt making bug I couldn't stop!  I decided to make a little leprechaun shirt for him for St. Patrick's day.  I had read on another blog that you can cut a shape out of freezer paper and then iron the outline onto a onsie.  Then you would have a stencil to use fabric paint and paint an image on the shirt.  Sadly my freezer paper would not stick.  I made sure it was shiny side down and everything.  Maybe it was old, I don't know, but it didn't work for me.  So, I held it down REALLY carefully and painted the shamrock on the shirt careful not to get any paint under the freezer paper.
Sorry, I forgot to take a picture before I got the onsie wet to put in the dye bath.
Waiting, waiting, waiting.....
TADA!!!
My little leprechaun :-)
I had also made a smaller shamrock stencil for his booty.  That one didn't stick either.
Now all we need is some corned beef, cabbage, and a cold glass of green beer for Daddy :)
Inspecting his shirt.  I think he likes it :)
The End! :)
P.S. I have had so much fun making these I have 3 more shirts for him in the works!

7 comments:

Life, Crafts and Whatever said...

Sarah, this is adorable! I especially love the shamrock on his tushie! Great job, momma!

Chrystie said...

This is adorable Sarah!! I love it! So spill all! What brand/type of paint?? What did you dip it in before you dyed it?? What color & brand is the dye? I love the color on him! What did you do after you dyed it? Leave it soaking over night? rinse it?? I want instructions here, lady! :) So cute! I also love how you wrote "the end" under the pic of his bunsies!

Anonymous said...

I love it! HE is so so so cute!where did you find shape of africa to trace?

Sarah said...

Thanks Jennifer, it was super fun to make.
Chrystie, the paint that I used to paint the shamrock was Tulip brand (one of the two brands available at my JoAnns)soft fabric paint in matte. The color was lime. I read somewhere that after it drys you have to put a piece of thin soft cloth over the paint and iron it with a fair amount of pressure to "set" it. It doesn't say this on the directions of the fabric paint but I did anyway.
I just dipped it in regular water before I dyed it. The directions on the Rit dye said to wet it before adding it to the dye bath. Then I soaked it for about 12 minutes in the hot water with the dye. The directions said 10-30, but I got tired of waiting. Next was the most time consuming part. You are supposed to rinse the fabric until it runs clear. I rinsed it until most of the green was out, but it was still not running clear so I put it in the washer on a rinse cycle. After it is rinsed clear you wash and dry it like normal and it is ready for your munchkin to wear :)
Jacqueline thanks, we think he is pretty stinkin' cute ourselves :) I just googled "Africa outline" and chose one of the shapes that came up in the size I wanted, printed it and cut it out.

Kari Bradshaw said...

I would sport that sweatshirt EVERYday, I LOVE it! So cute!!! love, love, LOVE it! And the shamrock butt too!!!! :)

Anonymous said...

The Wavy Triclimate is something which may be worn to any or all seasons of the season. One client didn't much like the [URL=http://www.northfacedenalijacket.org/#633]north face denali jacket[/URL] that the liner wouldn't zip towards the shell, although the upside is the design finds more area for activity. She for no reason complained about ice cold, though, and additionally took this to [URL=http://www.northfacedenalijacket.org/#744]north face denali[/URL] 1 day when the thermometer dropped below Twelve degrees Fahrenheit.

Anonymous said...

You'll be able to also receive these things [URL=http://www.nfoutletonline.net/#921]north face outlet[/URL] distinct functions and needs. This brand is popular among the hikers around America and to some portion of your world. Its exceptional is tested among the excellent [URL=http://www.nfoutletonline.net/#1172]the north face outlet[/URL] that are ideal for backpacking.