Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Musical Wreath

At the end of November when we put our Christmas tree up I decided I was over my tree topper so I was going to make a new one.  I don’t know what I was thinking size wise, but when I started making it it was clear that it was going to be WAY too big!  Sooo, I set it aside and had plans to turn it into a wreath later.  I sized down my model and ended up with this topper:

I love the way it turned out and just the look of it.  I am all about vintage and it looked vintage to me with the antique sheet music.
After all of the work of inking the edges of the music and turning the sheets into cones and then hot gluing them all together I was kind of over it.  I also finished around 2am so that might have killed some of my enthusiasm right there.  Anyway, I decided to wait a few days to do the wreath.  With the busyness of the Christmas season I never did get around to finishing it.  It has been taking the majority of my scrapbook work surface since then, so today I decided it was time to finish the thing!  It was only about a quarter of the way done and since it is such a HUGE wreath it actually took several hours to finish with inking the edges and everything from start to finish.  It was sooooo worth it though! And, bonus, now I have my scrap area back!
Coming together.  I had to make  LOT of cones!!!
Once I had enough cones made to complete the wreath I hot glued some cardboard strips  into ring and then glued the cones the that.  The whole process was very labor intensive and I have no desire to make another one in the near future!  But it turned out beautiful and is one of my favorite things in my house right now!!
You really can’t tell how big it is from this shot but it is almost 2 1/2 feet across.
It is beautiful and makes a big statement.  I think it would look good at Christmas with it’s matching baby on top of the tree, but without Christmas decorations in the house it doesn’t scream holiday, it just looks simple, stunning, and compliments the rest of my decor.
If I had the inclination to make another (which I don’t!!!) I think It would look really pretty with the edges dipped in pink or red glitter for valentines day :)   Even without the glitter I have non-permanent plans to dress this little puppy up for Valentines though!
It is pretty from every angle.  I so love it!!
I will be linking up to:




Make it Yours @ My Backyard Eden









The Trendy Treehouse

11 comments:

Kelly said...

Thanks sooo much for stopping by my blog and following! I appreciate it so much and hope you'll stop back by!

I love your blog and have followed you back! Your wreath is just gorgeous. I LOVE the shape of the cones!

Kelly

My Serendipity said...

I really love these..I have seen some pretty awesome things made of sheet music lately. The tree topper is really pretty! Thanks for stopping by my blog and becoming a follower. I am now following yours too :)
Beth
PS..We love Hawaii too!

Chrystie said...

Sarah, looks great! Can't wait to come see it in person! :)

Courtney said...

This is REALLY cool! I was a high school band junkie and have BOXES of old sheet music that will never be looked at again... untill now! I am following you (Via Homemaker on a Dime) and am so glad I clicked your link to see this cool project :) Cheers, Courtney

Stacey - Elle Belle said...

So great! I really love it as a wreath too!

Georgette said...

this is super cute! in H.S. i was drum major and a huuuge band geek so this music sheet wreath brought back memories...*sigh*! very creative:)

Heidi said...

it's beautiful! Great job, I do love that's it's beautiful from every angle!

Bella @ Bella before and after said...

Totally pretty, I keep thinking, if this would look so pretty with newspaper, lol. I don't have any sheet music, but tons of newspaper, he he.

I love the extra large one on the wall.

I would LOVE if you came to link up to my party **Amaze me August** I am trying to reach 100 linkups, and then I will have a special giveaway, something made my me, lol. I'm pretty excited!!!

Oh and just in case you were curious, how I clean my stove, check this out, he he.
Cleaning my stove with Shampoo

Thanks a ton girl, and hope to see you soon!!!!

Bella :)

Sarah said...

Kelly, I definitely plan on stopping back by!
Thanks for the nice comments everyone!
Courtney, you should make your own with your old sheet music!
Bella, thank you so much for inviting me to link up. I did and invited a blogger friend. Hope you reach 100 posts soon! :) You should try making a wreath out of newspaper. That could be really cool! And very "green' too! I will have to check your shampoo cleaning method and I saw some neat link ups in your party, so I am going to browse those too!

AllieMakes! said...

This is a terrific idea. It looks very nice. Thanks for linking up to Making It With Allie! I can’t wait to see what you have for next week!
AllieMakes.Blogspot.com

Bella @ Bella before and after said...

Hey girl,
I am so happy to have FEATURED you in my sidebar this past week. Come grab a FEATURED button, and display it proudly girl. I will try writing up the featured post hopefully by tomorrow, but at least I got all the pics up in the sidebar on Tuesday!!

I can't wait to see what you link up this week!!
**AMAZE ME AUGUST**, and don't forget to enter the giveaway to Luxe Blvd. The lovely STeph, is giving away a $20.00 store credit to shop at her store.

Many hugs girl!!!

Bella :)